Rarely does anyone leave the house planning to get into a car crash or suffer a fall, yet accidents happen every day. When they do, innocent people can sustain serious injuries due to the actions of others.
If you or a loved one were hurt because of someone else’s negligent or wrongful behavior, a Houston personal injury lawyer with Domingo Garcia can help you recover your damages. We handle a range of personal injury cases and have secured multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for victims with catastrophic and debilitating injuries.
We can fight for financial recovery for your medical bills, lost income, and more. Our team will handle every detail of your insurance claim or lawsuit so that you can focus on healing and getting your life back on track.
Personal Injury Law Protects the Rights of Accident Victims
According to the American Bar Association (ABA), personal injury law, also called tort law, protects victims who have sustained physical injuries, property damages, or mental and emotional harm due to another party’s actions.
Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Chapter 33, you can seek compensation for damages resulting from harm caused by a “negligent act or omission, by any defective or unreasonably dangerous product, [or] by other conduct or activity that violates an applicable legal standard.” even if you are partially at fault.
Our attorneys help injured individuals pursue justice. We know taking on insurance agencies, opposing lawyers, and powerful defendants, such as employers or corporations, can be intimidating. We can be your voice and advocate for you as you navigate the insurance claims process or Texas legal system. Let us put our 35-plus years of experience as a personal injury firm to work for you.
Domingo Garcia Handles a Range of Houston Personal Injury Cases
Injuries occur every day in Texas. In fact, according to the Texas Department of State Health Service (DSHS), in 2019, hospitals across the state reported nearly 145,000 admissions for trauma injuries, including spinal cord injuries (SCIs) and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs.) DSHS also reports that the leading causes of trauma injuries are falls from various levels and motor vehicle accidents.
- Houston Bicycle Accidents
- Houston Bus Accidents
- Houston Car Accidents
- Houston Catastrophic Injury
- Houston Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Houston Construction Accidents
- Houston Lyft Accidents
- Houston Motorcycle Accidents
- Houston Oil Rig Accidents
- Houston Oilfield Accidents
- Houston Pedestrian Accidents
- Houston Premises Liability
- Houston Product Liability
- Houston Slip And Fall Accidents
- Houston Spinal Cord Injury
- Houston Truck Accidents
- Houston Uber Accidents
- Houston Work Injury
- Houston Wrongful Death
Our Houston personal injury lawyers assist with a variety of accident cases. We can seek compensation for damages arising from:
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), nearly 1,600 Houston residents suffered a severe car accident injury in 2021. Unfortunately, more than 300 fatal crashes also occurred during that year on the city’s roadways. If you or a loved one were in an accident on Little York Road, Katy Freeway, Beltway 8, or anywhere else in the Houston area, we can help with a claim or lawsuit. We handle car accident cases involving:
- Texting and driving
- Improper turns and lane changes
- Drunk drivers
- Hit and run drivers
- Rollover crashes
- Single and multi-vehicle accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Side impact (t-bone) accidents
- Vehicle and auto parts defects
- Negligent road design and maintenance
TxDOT also reports that more than 2,000 motorcyclists suffered severe injuries and 519 riders sustained fatal injuries in crashes in 2021. Furthermore, more than half of fatal motorcycle crashes involved a collision with another vehicle.
According to TxDOT, accidents occur because motor vehicle drivers do not see motorcyclists or misjudge a motorcycle’s distance and speed. The department advises motorists to:
- Be extra cautious of motorcyclists when making left-hand turns
- Pay special attention at intersections, where nearly one-third of motorcycle accidents happen
- Avoid following motorcycles too closely or crowding a motorcyclist’s lane
- Take extra care when changing lanes
- Slow down
Accidents involving large trucks can be especially damaging for passenger vehicle occupants, who are more likely to suffer severe and catastrophic injuries due to their vehicle’s smaller size and lower weight.
Truck accidents can also be complex because they can involve multiple parties, including the truck driver, the trucking company, or even the owner/loader of the truck’s cargo. Furthermore, commercial vehicle accidents involve federal laws and shipping regulations, including those established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Our Houston personal injury lawyers can investigate and seek fair compensation for:
- 18-wheeler accidents
- Jackknife crashes
- Underride accidents
- Tractor-trailer rollovers
- Accidents involving hazardous or unsecured cargo
- Tire blow-out accidents
- Blind spot collisions
- Wide or left turn accidents
- Rear End Collisions
Slip and Falls
Slip and fall accident injuries can be severe, especially for older adults. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 3 million adults aged 65 and older visit an emergency room each year for fall injuries. Additionally, falls cause more than 95 percent of hip fractures and are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries.
Some fall accidents occur because of negligent property conditions, including:
- Broken or cracked floorboards or tiles
- Wet floors
- Ripped or torn carpeting
- Lack of handrails and stair rails
- Inadequate lighting
- Obstructed stairways or walkways
If your slip and fall resulted from negligent property maintenance or hazardous conditions, our lawyers can help you with a premises liability claim against a residential or commercial property owner.
If your personal injury occurred while on the job or relates to your occupation, you may be able to pursue compensation for your medical care and other losses from a non-subscriber employer or a liable third party.
According to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), occupations with the highest rate of fatality in Texas include:
- Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
- Construction laborers
- Front-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
- Grounds maintenance workers
- Material movers
- Welder, soldering, and brazing workers
Our Houston attorneys can assist with work injury cases involving vehicle collisions or injuries caused by heavy equipment accidents as well as, exposure to fall hazards, dangerous machinery like unguarded saws and presses hazardous substances, equipment failure and more.
The TDI reports that the construction industry has the highest number of fatalities across both the public and private sectors in Texas. According to the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), the top four causes of construction accident fatalities are:
- Falls. Fall accidents include falls from heights, falls due to unsafe scaffolding, slips and trips, and falls involving faulty/lack of safety equipment or improper guardrails.
- Struck by accidents. This type of accident occurs when a vehicle or a falling/flying object strikes an individual.
- Caught in/between accidents. These accidents happen when a worker is caught by a machine, stuck between objects, or caught in a cave-in.
- Electrocutions. Electrocutions can result from contact with live wires and power lines, improperly grounded electrical equipment, and lack of ground-fault protection.
- Add a small blurb heavy machinery hitting and injuring workers
Oil Field and Oil Rig Accidents
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Texas produces more than 40 percent of the nation’s crude oil and 25 percent of its marketed natural gas. However, energy extraction can be a hazardous field, with workers exposed to dangers, including fires, explosions, exposure to poisonous gas, and rig collapses. Our lawyers can tell you more about your options for financial recovery if you sustained injuries while working in an oil field or on an oil rig.
According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 82.001, injured parties can hold product manufacturers “strictly liable” for damages caused by defective products. Strict liability means you do not need to prove the product defect is due to negligence. Instead, you need only prove the product is defective and that the defect caused your injuries and damages.
- Design defects. This type of claim alleges that the product defect was inherent in its design, meaning that the defect would still occur even if manufactured correctly.
- Manufacturing defects. This type of defect occurs during a product’s construction or production.
- Marketing defects. Marketing defects happen due to improper product instructions or lack of safety warnings.
Wrongful death is a type of personal injury action taken on behalf of a deceased party by their surviving family members. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Chapter 71, a deceased’s spouse, children, or parents can recover compensation for damages arising from a death caused by a “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default.”
We Advocate for Victims With Severe and Disabling Personal Injuries
The above accidents can result in catastrophic, disabling, and fatal bodily harm. Our firm advocates for clients with severe personal injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs). According to the Mayo Clinic, SCIs can stem from a traumatic blow to the spine, like that sustained during a car accident or fall. SCIs are permanent and cause a complete or partial loss of sensation and motor function (paralysis) below the injury site. Sufferers may have limited to no feeling or movement in the trunk, arms, legs, hands, feet, and pelvic organs, depending on the location and severity of the spinal damage.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). TBIs occur when a victim sustains a sudden blow to the head or body or an object pierces the skull and damages brain tissue. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, symptoms of a TBI range based on severity, but TBI-related disabilities include cognitive deficits, sensory processing issues, communication issues, and behavior/mental health disorders. Severe TBIs can also result in a coma or vegetative state.
- Back and neck injuries. Not all back and neck injuries affect the spine. However, according to MedlinePlus, back sprains and strains, herniated discs, and fractured vertebrae can cause pain and limited mobility. Sufferers may require treatment ranging from bed rest to surgery. Whiplash is a neck injury commonly seen in car accident victims that can also lead to pain, limited movement, and a prolonged recovery.
- Broken bones. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, falls and vehicle collisions are common causes of broken bones. Fractures can be severe, particularly if the bone breaks in more than one location or the broken bone protrudes through the skin.
- Internal injuries. Physical trauma can result in internal injuries, such as bleeding and damage to organs, including your heart, liver, lungs, and kidneys.
Other types of personal injuries our legal team assists with include, but are not limited to:
- Hearing or vision loss
- Severe cuts and bruising (road rash)
- Facial injuries
- Burns and chemical burns
- Electrocution injuries
- Exposure to toxic or harmful substances
- Occupational illnesses
- Loss of a limb
Our Houston Injury Lawyers Will Fight for Fair Compensation for Your Losses
A catastrophic injury can cause immense physical and emotional suffering, prevent you from working, and lead to significant medical expenses and other financial losses. It is unfair that you or your family should shoulder the burden of an injury you did not cause.
Our Houston personal injury attorneys can help you pursue compensation from the driver, manufacturer, property owner, employer, or another negligent party responsible for your injury. We will fight for the resources you need for your medical treatment to ensure your accident does not cost you or your family your financial stability.
Every case is different, and the value of your potential settlement or verdict will vary based on the severity of your injury, the extent of your medical treatment, your current wages, and other factors. However, in Texas, personal injury victims can pursue:
Economic damages refer to your calculable, out-of-pocket expenses, including:
- Ambulance fees
- Doctor visits
- Hospital stays
- Medical equipment and devices
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Mobility aids
- In-home health care
- Life care or long-term nursing services
- Mental health services
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Vehicle or personal property damages
- The value of household services (transportation, cooking, laundry, etc.)
- Medically necessary home and vehicle modifications (such as the addition of ramps or railings)
Our lawyers will identify and calculate your economic damages using your medical bills, wage records, and receipts. We may also work with doctors, vocational experts, and economists to estimate your expected future medical treatment costs and understand how your injuries affect your finances and ability to work, now and in the future. Our goal is to secure every penny owed to you.
Noneconomic damages, also referred to as pain and suffering damages, compensate injury victims for intangible losses, including quality of life reductions. We can seek noneconomic awards for:
- Post-traumatic stress
- Disabling injuries
- Loss of mobility or paralysis
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of limb or body part
- Loss of a bodily function
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
These losses can be more difficult to value because they are not based on calculable figures. Once again, we may rely on experts to testify about the severity of your injury and how it affects your work, personal relationships, mental health, and day-to-day living.
You may be able to help maximize your pain and suffering compensation by keeping a daily record of your mental and emotional state, physical pain levels, and ways you notice your injury interfering with your everyday life.
Wrongful Death Compensation
If you are seeking compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one, you can pursue awards for:
- The deceased’s injury-related medical expenses
- The deceased’s lost earnings and lost earning capacity (including the value of inheritance they would have saved had they lived)
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Surviving family members’ mental pain and suffering
- Loss of the deceased’s love, care, guidance, support, and companionship
Will Your Personal Injury Case Settle Outside of Court?
According to the ABA, only a small percentage of personal injury cases go to trial. Most cases get resolved through an insurance claim or out-of-court settlement. If insurance is an option for your case, we may pursue a claim with the at-fault party’s provider. Types of insurance that may apply to personal injury cases include:
- Automobile insurance
- Commercial vehicle insurance
- Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance
- Business insurance
- Personal liability insurance
Our lawyers can work to negotiate a settlement that satisfies your losses or seek compensation with a personal injury claim or lawsuit. If we must take legal action, we will continue to work towards an advantageous out-of-court agreement. However, we will not back down from going to trial if necessary.
Be aware that Texas’s statute of limitations will affect both claims and lawsuits. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you have two years from the time of your injury or your loved one’s passing to file your case. The court will likely dismiss your suit if you do not meet the deadline. Likewise, an expired time limit may result in a lowered or denied insurance settlement.
Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
You may consider handling your insurance claims or lawsuits on your own. However, unless you are an attorney or have legal experience, doing so could be a bad idea, especially if you have significant medical bills and face weeks of recovery or longer.
Our attorneys can protect your rights and give you an ally with personal injury case experience and knowledge of the Texas court system. Additionally, our Houston lawyers can do the work necessary to build your case while you focus on healing.
When selecting a personal injury lawyer to represent you, Forbes recommends you choose an attorney who:
- Handles your type of case. Lawyers and law firms specialize in different areas of the law. For example, if you need assistance with an injury case, you probably do not want to hire an attorney whose case record includes only divorce or criminal defense law. If you have a catastrophic injury, you need a personal injury lawyer. Attorney Domingo Garcia has worked for injury clients for over three decades and has assembled a team of attorneys focused on seeking justice for injury victims. Fighting for the injured is what we do.
- Has a successful case record. Forbes suggests hiring an attorney who has won cases both in and outside of court. Our lawyers can and will do what is most advantageous for you, whether that is negotiating a pretrial settlement or litigating your case. We have a track record of successful settlements and verdicts, including:
- A $2.75 million wrongful death settlement for the family of a roadside worker struck by a commercial motor vehicle
- A $2.1 million jury verdict for the victim of a balcony collapse
- A $1.075 million settlement for the victim of an oil field blow-out incident
- A $3 million settlement for the victim of a motorcycle collision involving a commercial motor vehicle
- A $26.5 million jury verdict for injuries resulting from a failure to provide fall protection equipment safety training
- You feel good about working with us. You need to feel comfortable with your lawyer to be open and honest when building your case. Trust and communication are important, and you want someone on your side who you know is working for you. Our attorneys will listen to you, answer your questions, and keep you updated. You can be confident knowing our team will:
- Collect evidence, including medical records, police reports, witness statements, photographs, and video footage
- File your claims or lawsuits and manage paperwork, deadlines, and communications with the insurance companies and opposing lawyers
- Promptly return your phone calls and emails
- Aggressively negotiate on your behalf
- Serve you with compassion, professionalism, and respect
- Works on contingency. Contingency means that you do not pay for legal services out-of-pocket. Instead, you agree to pay a percentage of your successful settlement or verdict. If your lawyer does win your case, they do not collect a fee. Our Houston personal injury lawyers charge nothing upfront, and we do not get paid unless we secure compensation for you.
Contact Domingo Garcia for a Free Consultation
Let Domingo Garcia be your voice. Our team of award-winning attorneys has earned a spot on the list of Texas Top 50 Settlements for 2019 and The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers. We will fight for you through every step of your personal injury claim or lawsuit with one goal in mind – achieving the most advantageous settlement or verdict for you and your family.
Do not suffer further because of medical bills and other financial hardships arising from your accident. The person responsible for your injury and damages should pay, and we want to help you hold them accountable. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about working with our Houston personal injury attorneys.