Premises liability accidents can cause devastating injuries, even fatal wounds. Fortunately, a Houston premises liability lawyer on our team could help you hold the landowner accountable if you were hurt or a loved one died because of a hazardous condition on someone else’s property.
Domingo Garcia could handle your Houston personal injury or wrongful death claim arising from a premises liability accident.
Examples of Premises Liability Claims
There is almost no limit to the ways that a person can get injured or killed because of a dangerous condition on someone else’s property. Here are just a few examples of common types of premises liability accident situations:
- Slip and fall. A person visiting another person’s residence or a commercial establishment could slip and fall or trip and fall on a slippery or wet floor, stumble on a tripping hazard, or lose their footing for some other reason that involved the owner’s negligence.
- Electrocution. Exposed wires, ungrounded outlets, electrical “shorts,” and other hidden electrical dangers could cause an unsuspecting visitor to the property to get electrocuted.
- Negligent security. Negligent security claims usually involve criminal actions by a third party, but the property owner could have some liability. The owner could be responsible in part if they failed to adequately address known safety concerns on the property.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals. A visitor to the property could get harmed by exposure to cleaning compounds, solvents, and other hazardous chemicals used by the owner or others on the property.
- Swimming pool tragedy. Some premises liability claims involve diving accidents, drownings, near-drownings, and falls on or around swimming pools on residential property or at hotels, water parks, and other commercial facilities.
These items are but a small sample of the many types of situations that could lead to an injury that results in a premises liability claim. A person who survives their wounds might have a personal injury claim based on premises liability. The legal beneficiaries of a person who dies from their premises liability accident wounds might be eligible to file a Houston wrongful death lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a premises liability lawyer serving Houston, call (713) 349-1500
How Our Premises Liability Attorneys Can Assist You
Allow our lawyers to hold the negligent property owner or manager accountable while you recuperate from your injuries. We can assume these responsibilities for you:
- Ordering a copy of the incident report
- Gathering video surveillance, photos of the scene and your injuries, your medical records, and/or eyewitness statements
- Evaluating your past, current, and anticipated damages
- Negotiating a settlement with the insurance company
- Taking on all communication with the property owners and their representatives
- Bringing your case before a jury if we cannot settle
We encourage you to connect with our firm sooner rather than later. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, the state enforces a two-year filing deadline on most personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
Depending on certain factors, you could have a different deadline. Keep in mind, though, that if you wait too long to sue the other party, you may miss your chance of recovering fair compensation. Given enough notice, our personal injury attorneys can help you adhere to the applicable time frame.
Our Premises Liability Settlement and Trial Winnings
Here are some examples of results we have won for our clients in premises liability cases:
- $6,000,000 for the death of a child due to an improperly maintained apartment complex pool causing electrocution
- $2,100,0000 for a broken ankle from the collapse of an improperly constructed balcony
- $3,000,000 for premises security.
Feel free to reach out to us to discuss your possible premises liability claim. Most people are not as familiar with premises liability claims as they are with more common situations, like car accidents. You do not need to stress about the legal issues involved in premises liability claims. We can cover those issues for you.
Houston Premises Liability Lawyer Near Me
Elements We Have to Prove in a Premises Liability Claim
Premises liability claims involve all of these elements:
- You suffered a physical injury due to an accident.
- The accident occurred on someone else’s property.
- The accident occurred due to a dangerous or hazardous condition.
- The property owner knew or should have known about the hazard.
- The property owner did not take reasonable measures to correct the problem, warn about it, or prevent people from getting injured.
Usually, you can pursue a claim for damages for your injuries and other losses when you can establish all of those elements.
Recoverable Compensation in a Premises Liability Case in Houston
After we can prove the required elements for a premises liability claim in Houston, we can seek damages for your losses, which could include things like:
You might have been unable to work for weeks or months following the premises liability accident. Your wounds needed time to heal, and you needed to recuperate from medical interventions like surgery. If your boss did not pay your full regular salary when you were away from the job because of your injuries, we can add this financial loss to your premises liability claim.
The reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed because of your injuries is usually recoverable. This category can include the initial costs like the ambulance and emergency room. Also, any healthcare costs directly related to your injuries, like doctors, hospitals, surgery, blood transfusions, diagnostic procedures, lab tests, physical therapy, prescription drugs, and pain management, can fit into this category.
Premises liability claims often involve devastating injuries, like head trauma or spinal cord damage. After suffering a severe injury, a person might have to move into long-term care, like a nursing home, to get the daily assistance they need with medical treatments and personal care.
Decreased Earning Capacity
A person can experience ongoing problems even after their premises liability accident wounds have healed as well as they are going to. You might not have the strength or stamina that you had before getting hurt.
Job functions that require lifting, standing for long periods of time, or other tasks might be challenging after a severe injury. You might not be able to make as much money as before the premises liability accident.
Pain and Suffering
A severe injury, such as a traumatic brain injury, neck injury, or hip fracture, can involve significant physical discomfort and mental anguish. Merely getting your medical bills paid does not begin to address these issues. Money damages for your pain and suffering are to compensate you for these losses.
Wrongful Death Damages
If your close relative lost their life because of a premises liability accident, Domingo Garcia could help the legal beneficiaries go after additional compensation for their losses, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of household services
- Final medical costs
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Our Houston Premises Liability Team Help You With Your Case
Contact Domingo Garcia’s Houston personal injury lawyers for a no-cost initial case review. We have a “no fee until you win” policy. If you do not win your claim, you do not owe us any money for legal fees. Call us today!