The Federal Highway Administration (FHA) collected data on traffic fatalities and found that head-on collisions accounted for approximately 14 percent of all traffic fatalities in the United States each year. Regarding head-on collisions in Texas, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) logged nearly 600 fatalities in 2019. These types of accidents can be a result of:
- Distracted driving, like a driver being on their phone or looking at GPS and not realizing they’re crossing over into the opposite lane
- Driving while intoxicated, can cause confusion or impair judgment and make drivers enter roads in the opposite direction
- Poor visibility, such as having sun glare or fog block a driver’s ability to see which side of the road they’re on
- Trying to pass another driver in a two-way roadway and not checking for oncoming traffic
- Road rage or other forms of aggressive driving, like speeding, and losing control of one’s vehicle
Regardless of the cause, the at-fault driver or a related liable party (e.g., an employer) should face accountability for their negligence. This is especially true when severe injuries or even death occur in a car accident. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a head-on collision in our Houston car accident lawyers want to hear about your case. You can work with a Houston head-on collision accident lawyer who can fight for your right to financial recovery.
Our Legal Team Knows How to Build Personal Injury Cases So You don’t Have To
When you work with a personal injury lawyer from Domingo Garcia, our team works together to build your head-on collision case in Houston. One of the first steps we’ll take is to investigate the cause of your accident, gather evidence to support your claims and hire all the necessary experts like accident reconstructionists to make sure your case has the best position for success..
For example, say the at-fault driver got onto the wrong exit/entrance ramp on the Katy Freeway. We might check to see if any photos of the accident scene showed that the vehicle was going in the wrong direction at the time of the accident. Other forms of evidence might include dashcam footage from your or their vehicle, traffic camera footage near the exit/entrance ramp, and eyewitness testimony from other drivers who were present in the area. Our accident reconstruction experts will closely photograph, video and map skid marks, collision marks and other evidence that can disappear over time.
Our Legal Services Allow You to Focus on Your Personal Recovery
We are diligent about building comprehensive cases for our clients because we know what to expect in the litigation system. Beyond what we discover when preparing your case, we have to also anticipate legal deadlines, tactics from the insurance company to undermine your case, and time-related obstacles.
Building a car accident claim or lawsuit can be stressful when you’re trying to recover from your injuries, which is why we offer these services to you. When you work with a Houston head-on collision accident lawyer from our team, we will:
- Handle communications with insurance adjusters, defense attorneys, and other inquiring parties while your case is ongoing, which means you can refer people to your lawyer whenever they reach out to you for a statement
- Help you find medical treatment for your injuries and medical experts to give opinions on future care and impairment
- Perform administrative tasks to ensure your case complies with required legal paperwork, deadlines, and requests
- Prepare case arguments, whether you settle out of court or we must present your case in front of a jury
- Provide legal counsel whenever you face legal decisions, such as determining whether you want to move forward with a lawsuit instead of settling a claim
Our team will update you as your case progresses. If you have any additional questions or concerns, you can also speak with a team member in a future consultation.
We’ve Won Million-Dollar Settlements and Verdicts for Our Clients
Some of our top settlement and verdict winnings include:
- $8.75 million for an injury case involving an 18-wheeler truck
- $3 million for a motorcyclist injured in an accident with a commercial vehicle
- $1 million for an accident victim who suffered a lumbar fracture in a collision with a commercial vehicle
We Pursue Compensation Based on the Damages You’ve Suffered
Are all personal injury cases the same in value? No. Settlement figures aren’t arbitrary numbers assigned to cases but are actual estimates of the value of the plaintiff’s damages. Our team will sit down with you and discuss what losses, injuries, and other damages you suffered as a result of the head-on collision. From there, we will calculate a figure that fairly covers your current losses as well as future losses you might face.
For a head-on collision, we might pursue the following types of damages:
- Medical treatment expenses, such as costs for emergency room care or physical therapy
- Loss of wages if your injuries forced you to miss work or leave your position entirely
- Reduced earning potential if your injuries left you temporarily or permanently disabled and now affect your ability to perform pre-work tasks
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Emotional distress or psychological trauma from the accident
- Property damage costs, such as costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Diminished quality of life if you were left permanently disabled or disfigured because of the accident
This is not a complete list. You may qualify for other damages not listed in this article.
You May Qualify to File a Wrongful Death Action If You Lost a Loved One
Unfortunately, head-on collisions are often fatal. If you and your family are dealing with the sudden loss of a loved one after they collided with another vehicle head-on, our team wants to serve as a helping hand in preparing your case. We can handle the legal work while your family organizes final arrangements for your loved one.
As such, we would also pursue additional damages in a wrongful death action, such as:
- Funeral arrangement costs
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of parental guidance for surviving children
- Loss of companionship or consortium for the surviving spouse
- Loss of inheritance
We strive to be sensitive to your feelings as we discuss your case in detail. Our team understands the pain our clients go through can be immense. Let us help you as much as we can.
Texas Only Gives a Two-Year Window for Injured Parties to File Their Lawsuits
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 details the statute of limitations for both personal injury and wrongful death cases. Per this statute, the following deadlines apply:
- For personal injury cases: You have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit and demand compensation in civil court.
- For wrongful death cases: You have two years from the date of the victim’s death to file a lawsuit, and you must be a surviving spouse, child, or parent of the deceased in order to file. Otherwise, a personal representative may do so if no surviving kin files within three months.
Failure to submit within your case’s legal timeframe could result in you losing your right to pursue compensation through a civil action.
Call Domingo Garcia to Work With a Houston Head-On Collision Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one suffered a severe or debilitating injury in a head-on collision in Houston, Texas, you may qualify to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the at-fault driver or another liable party. Our legal team can investigate your car accident and build a case on your behalf. We can assign a Houston head-on collision accident lawyer to serve as your legal representative. We will work toward negotiating a settlement for you or advocating for your rights in court, if necessary.
Founded 35 years ago, Domingo Garcia has the experience to help you today. To start your legal journey, call the number on our website. One of our team members can listen to your case and explain what services we provide to help clients pursue financial recovery. Call now to get your first consultation for free.