Catastrophic injuries can take many forms, from paralysis to brain damage to the loss of a limb. Many accidents that lead to such injuries could have been prevented if someone else had exercised due caution rather than behaving recklessly.
A Houston catastrophic injury lawyer from Domingo Garcia could help you seek the compensation you need to rebuild your life. Our Hoston personal injury lawyers can handle your case while you rest and recover.
Personal Injury Versus Catastrophic Injury
An accident-related injury can range from minor (e.g., a shallow cut) to catastrophic (e.g., paralysis or even death).
Catastrophic injuries often warrant legal action and could entitle you to more compensation than a less serious personal injury would. This includes compensation for:
- Pain and suffering for the considerable amount of distress your severe injury has caused and will continue to cause in the future
- Intellectual disability if you suffered an injury to the head that permanently alters your personality, your reasoning skills, or your ability to take care of yourself
- Physical disability if you lost a limb, were paralyzed, had to have an organ removed, lost a sense (e.g., sight), or suffered another type of serious injury
- Reduced quality of life to account for the daily challenges that come with disability
- Medical bills, which can add up very quickly if you need emergency treatment, multiple treatments, or even lifelong care
- Loss of earning capacity if you can no longer return to your old job and/or have to retire from the workforce altogether
- Property damage if you were in a car accident
- Additional expenses incurred by the injury
In one catastrophic injury case, we recovered $12,5 million dollars for a child that was burned due to a gas explosion and $ 9 million dollars for a child that suffered a traumatic brain injury in a commercial vehicle accident. The worth of your case depends on many factors, which we can investigate for you after accepting your case.
Hiring a Catastrophic Injury Attorney
It’s important to know your rights before speaking with the liable party’s insurance company or anyone else about your catastrophic injury. In fact, allowing Domingo Garcia to speak on your behalf—or, at minimum, to accompany you during all meetings—could protect your rights because:
- Your injury is very serious, making it hard to concentrate on anything but the injury.
- You are in the hospital so while you are recovering the responsible insurance company is gathering evidence to help them. You need someone working for you while you are recovering!
- You may be on medications that further impact your ability to think rationally and make decisions.
- You are not as familiar with the law as we are, so you could make an innocent mistake that reduces how much you can collect.
Our team would be proud to manage your case. One of our Houston catastrophic injury lawyers can take care of necessary legal tasks, such as:
- Collecting evidence to prove that the liable party caused the accident, which led to your catastrophic injury
- Filing the right forms and paperwork to keep your case moving so there is no unnecessary delay in receiving your catastrophic injury compensation
- Meeting with the at-fault party’s insurance company, either in person or by other means, to discuss how serious your injury is and negotiate an agreement
- Meeting all deadlines so your case is not rejected on a technicality
- Taking steps to bring your case to trial, if seeking a pretrial settlement is not feasible for any reason
- Explaining potential agreements or actions so you can make the right decisions for you and your family (e.g., regarding when to settle)
We can also address any concerns you have about the case, such as:
- How is my case progressing? We keep clients updated regularly. Your injury gives you enough to worry about: the last thing you need is to be left in the dark about your case.
- How much will my case cost? We charge no attorney’s fees or expenses up front, so you do not have to worry about paying them on top of your medical bills and other expenses unless you receive a money settlement
- What if I cannot get a settlement? Some catastrophic injury cases result in a settlement, but those that do not may go to court. We can pursue either avenue, depending on the circumstances surrounding your injury. We will try your case to verdict if the insurance company does not offer you a fair settlement.
When Catastrophic Injuries Turn Deadly
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional injury is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. This includes deaths from car accidents, falls, and more.
If you have recently suffered this kind of loss, please accept our condolences. Domingo Garcia can represent you as you seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses from your loved one’s fatal injuries
- The cost of burying and/or cremating your loved one, as well as any funeral services you held in their honor
- The loss of your loved one’s income if you depended on it to take care of your children or support yourself
- Loss of consortium for the companionship your loved one provided
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 generally gives you two years to begin a personal injury case or a Houston wrongful death lawsuit. The earlier you start, the more time we may have to build a compelling case. Missing this deadline means you give up your right to seek compensation through legal action.
We Represent Catastrophic Injury Survivors
At Domingo Garcia, we are committed to helping those with catastrophic injuries receive both justice and fair compensation from the liable party. If you or a loved one were seriously injured in Houston, contact our office for a free case review today.
One of our lawyers could guide you step by step through the legal process.