You might want to talk to our Houston bicycle accident lawyer if you were hurt in a bicycle accident that was someone else’s fault. Bicyclists can suffer devastating injuries, including fatal wounds, particularly if the accident involves a collision with a motor vehicle.
At Domingo Garcia, we work hard to recover all the compensation that you deserve from the negligent party who caused the accident. We have over 35 years of experience helping injured clients, and we have helped them recover million-dollar settlements.
How Our Houston Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help With Your Case
If you got injured in a bike crash in the Houston area, you need to be able to focus on your health and well-being to optimize your recovery. You should not have to spend any of your valuable energy or time dealing with the stress of an injury claim.
When our Houston personal injury lawyer handles your case, we will take the lead so that you can focus on recuperating from your wounds. On your behalf, we will:
- Deal directly with the claims adjuster and investigators to help settle your bike accident case
- Negotiate with the other party’s insurer on your behalf and try to reach a fair settlement
- File a lawsuit and ask a court to decide the value of your case if the at-fault party’s liability insurance carrier refuses to pay a fair settlement amount
- Gather evidence to prove the bicycle accident was not your fault
We will also help you get your lawsuit filed on time. Under Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you must file your personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit within two years or risk losing all rights to compensation from the negligent party. Two years can pass quickly after a severe injury or the loss of a loved one. Our team can work on your case before these deadlines end.
Damages You Can Collect After Houston Bicycle Collisions
When a motor vehicle like a car or truck strikes a person riding a bicycle, the injuries to the bicyclist can be life-changing. The bike rider can suffer injuries from direct contact with the motor vehicle, which weighs thousands of pounds. Additional wounds can be caused by flying through the air after the impact and landing on the pavement, a parked vehicle, or getting thrown into oncoming traffic.
Head injuries, paralyzing spinal cord damage, and multiple broken bones are not uncommon in these situations. Sometimes, people do not survive their injuries. Many of those who do survive never regain 100 percent of their previous function or strength even after completing their prescribed medical treatment.
You should not have to pay for the cost of these injuries when someone else was the reason you were hurt. When you work with our firm, we can help you recover damages such as:
- Pain and suffering: The pain and suffering associated with bike accident injuries can be severe. You are entitled compensation for this.
- Medical expenses: This encompasses any hospital visits, doctor’s appointments, and medications you needed after the bike accident including projected future medical expenses.
- Mental anguish: You can receive compensation for anxiety, depression, or other mental suffering brought on by your accident.
- Lost and reduced income: If your injuries prevent you from going back to work, or they cause you to work a lower-paying job, we can help you seek compensation.
- Property damage: If your bicycle was damaged because of the crash, you deserve compensation.
- Wrongful death damages: If your loved one passed away in a Houston bike accident, you can recover compensation for their hospital bills before they passed, as well as funeral and burial expenses.
You Can Afford to Work With Our Houston Bicycle Crash Attorney
We handle Houston bicycle collision injury cases on a contingency-fee basis. With this arrangement, you will not have to pay upfront fees for us to get started working on your case. Instead, we work through the entire legal matter without getting paid until the end. Our legal fees will come out of the settlement or jury award at the end of your case.
Crash Statistics on Bicycle Accidents
Although only 1% of all trips in America are bicycle trips, more than 2% of the people who die in collisions with motor vehicles are bicyclists, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More than 130,000 bicyclists get injured on the road every year, and almost 1,000 of them die from their wounds.
Most of the fatalities occur in cities and towns, as opposed to rural areas. Most, if not all of these injuries and fatalities are preventable.
Causes of Bicycle Crashes
Although drivers of cars and trucks are supposed to share the road with bicycles, many do not do so. Motorists sometimes fail to keep a careful lookout for bicycles, which can be more difficult to notice because of their smaller size and the different way that they move through traffic.
Some people do not keep a safe distance between their vehicles and bicycles. A car traveling too close to a bike can inadvertently force the bike off of the road or into a vehicle parked along the curb. Sometimes, a simple miscalculation of available distance can cause the motor vehicle to make physical contact with the bicycle.
When someone in a parked car opens their door without checking for bikes, they can strike the bicycle with the door, causing debilitating harm to the bicyclist. Some people think nothing of driving their car in a marked bicycle lane.
In any of these circumstances, the driver would be at fault for causing your accident. We would be able to pursue compensation from them.
Three Things to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Houston
Here are a few suggestions for what to do after experiencing a Houston bicycle accident:
- Call 911: Contact law enforcement from the scene of the accident. Bicyclists tend to suffer severe injuries in crashes, which can lead to an expensive liability claim against the at-fault party. Some people will deny fault when a lot of money is on the line. You want to have a police report as evidence of who caused the accident.
- Get medical help: Prompt medical attention is essential to get the best possible physical recovery from your wounds. Also, your medical records will be key in linking your injuries to the accident. A delay in medical treatment can give the defendant an argument that your injuries were not the result of the collision.
- Call our law firm: Talk to our Houston bicycle accident lawyer as soon as you can. We will want to investigate the scene of the crash and collect evidence that could disappear quickly. Do not allow anyone to dispose of your bike, as it could be essential evidence in your case.
Contact Domingo Garcia Today for a Free Consultation
Our firm can handle all aspects of your case. Remember, we do not get paid unless you win. You can contact Domingo Garcia today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation on your Houston bicycle accident case. We can answer any questions you have in English or Spanish.