After a Houston truck accident, you should call the local police to the accident scene and exchange information with the at-fault driver. If your injuries allow, you should also exchange information with any available witnesses. Doing so ensures you have a truck accident report containing the information you need to seek compensation.
If you are in pain seek immediate medical attention, even if this means riding in an ambulance to the hospital. Delaying medical treatment for personal injuries after a truck accident not only will postpone your ability to receive pain relief, but can also provide the trucking company insurance carrier an argument to limit how badly you are injured.
You may also consider contacting a Houston truck accident lawyer after an accident. It is never too soon to get an attorney on your side. Our team will guide you through the legal process and build a strong case on your behalf. We are ready to help you seek the compensation you deserve. We can also help provide you referrals for immediate medical care with doctors and clinics that will wait for payment until we win you a money settlement.
After Your Truck Accident, Obtain a Copy of Your Accident Report
Your truck accident report is a key component in your personal injury case, so it is important to request a copy of it after your accident. It will help your legal team by:
- Identifying information for all involved parties
- Listing notes and diagrams from the investigating officer
- Outlining the date, time, location, and road and weather conditions during the time of the wreck
- Explaining the position and condition of the truck and your car
- Listing accident scene diagrams and points of impact
- Sharing photos of the accident scene
If you obtain your police report on your own, keep a copy for your personal records and provide one to your Houston personal injury lawyer. If your injuries prevent you from collecting evidence, our lawyers r can obtain it for you.
Other Evidence to Collect After a Houston Truck Collision
A police report is not the only useful piece of evidence after a truck accident. We can use evidence like:
- Your medical records
- Witness testimony
- Any photos and videos you took
- Bills, receipts, and invoices for accident-related expenses
When you hire our firm, you can leave the collection of this evidence to us.
You Should Identify the Liable Party and Demand Damages in the Aftermath of a Truck Accident
Truck accident cases are complex for a variety of reasons, including identifying the party whose negligence caused the accident. An attorney from our firm will compile evidence of negligence to help you pursue compensation after a collision in Houston.
Potentially liable parties can include:
- The truck driver or their employer
- Truck and parts manufacturers
- The truck’s cargo loading facility
- Truck maintenance shop
Your Lawyer Will Seek Fair Compensation After a Houston Truck Accident
You could recover economic and non-economic damages in the aftermath of a truck accident. After proving the at-fault party’s negligence and financial liability, your lawyer will request compensation for your:
- Accident-related medical bills
- Accident-related income loss
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Disabling and disfiguring injuries
- Diminished quality of life
- Property damage or destruction
Your lawyer will also help the families of truck accident fatalities pursue wrongful death compensation. When you agree to a financial settlement, your agreement is legally binding, and you cannot request additional compensation at a later date even for valid damages. A lawyer can ensure no recoverable damages are left out of your initial compensation request.
Be Mindful of Texas’ Statute of Limitations After a Truck Accident
If we cannot resolve your case with an insurance claim, you may decide to file a lawsuit against the liable party. You will need to file your lawsuit based on the following laws:
- Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 in general, gives you two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury lawsuit
- The same statute generally gives you two years from the date of a loved one’s demise to file your wrongful death lawsuit
After a truck accident in Houston, your lawyer will explain the applicable filing deadline and any factors of the accident that might cause it to change. With sufficient notice from you, your lawyer will also ensure you file your lawsuit on time.
Other Considerations to Keep in Mind After Your Houston Truck Collision
Some other steps you can take after a truck accident include:
- Visiting a doctor and sticking to the treatment plan they recommend
- Avoiding communications with the insurance company, as they may try to offer you a settlement that is lower than you deserve
- Staying off social media so that your posts are not taken out of context by the liable party
Your Truck Accident Case Review Is Free
Founded 35 years ago, our law firm is passionate about pursuing compensation for individuals injured by someone else’s negligence. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident, we can help.
Our case review team will explain what you need to do after a Houston truck accident and how hard we go to bat for you. Learn more by contacting our case review team at Domingo Garcia today.