Rideshare accidents can cause injuries to passengers, motorists, pedestrians, and others on or near a roadway. If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one because of an accident, a Texas rideshare accident lawyer from Domingo Garcia will fight for the money you deserve.
Rideshare accidents can leave victims like you in pain, facing financial pressure, and in need of help. Let the car accident team at Domingo Garcia fight for the compensation you need to move on.
What Compensation Can a Rideshare Accident Victim in Texas Seek?
Our team will evaluate the details of your rideshare accident in Texas, identifying every recoverable damage that you have suffered. We often represent clients with debilitating injuries resulting from car accidents, and their recoverable damages include:
- Medical expenses: Rideshare accident victims may feel saddled with medical bills for emergency care, emergency transport, imaging services, hospitalization, and other medical services.
- Lost income and other professional damages: Serious injuries can stop you from working, costing you income, potential promotions and bonuses, benefits, and other perks of working.
- Non-economic damages: A rideshare accident can cause post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
- Damage to your vehicle and other property: Damage to your vehicle, electronic devices, clothing, accessories, and other property can be costly. Whether through insurance coverage or a lawsuit, we’ll seek compensation for all of your property damage expenses.
Wrongful Death-Related Damages
Rideshare collisions can also claim the lives of victims, a tragic outcome that we help clients navigate. If your rideshare accident case in Texas involves a wrongful death, your recoverable damages may include end-of-life medical expenses, as well as:
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of a parent’s guidance
- Loss of the decedent’s household services
- Loss of the decedent’s income
Not every person can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. Usually, a representative of the estate does so, and the court can appoint a representative if necessary. Our Texas rideshare accident attorneys can determine who in your family can file a wrongful death case.
Our Case Results Prove Our Dedication to Accident Victims
As you consider hiring Domingo Garcia for your rideshare accident case in Texas, you should review our case results. These results show that we press for the money our clients deserve.
Some relevant case results include:
- An $8.75 million settlement for the victim of a motor vehicle accident in Texas
- A $3 million recovery for another victim of a motor vehicle accident
- A $2.75 million settlement for a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle
When you hire a rideshare accident lawyer from Domingo Garcia to lead your case in Texas, you retain a law firm that has proven its worth to clients. Our team will manage every feature of your case and fight for maximum financial recovery.
Why Should You Hire Domingo Garcia to Lead Your Rideshare Accident Case in Texas?
The attorneys, investigators, and paralegals at Domingo Garcia understand traffic accident cases and their many obligations. You may choose our team to lead your rideshare accident case in Texas because:
- Our firm protects clients, first and foremost: It is critical that our clients feel safe when they hire Domingo Garcia. We handle communications with insurance companies, deal with other lawyers, and help with any recorded or written statements you must make. At no point will anyone violate your rights—not with the Domingo Garcia team watching your back.
- We know your options for seeking compensation: Rideshare services like Lyft and Uber generally provide insurance coverage to drivers, and drivers must also have personal insurance to drive legally. We may also consider filing a lawsuit on your behalf.
- We will fight for the financial recovery you deserve: When we accept your case, we promise to fight for your entire financial recovery. Regardless of the specific details of your case, this will remain our mission.
- We put you first: Our clients are the priority, and we work diligently to provide the best legal representation we can. From treating you with respect to providing regular case updates, Domingo Garcia will provide the personalized legal services that you deserve.
Our Clients Say Great Things About Our Quality of Service
We have garnered positive reviews from many of our former clients, and these testimonials may help you better understand why rideshare accident victims in Texas choose Domingo Garcia to represent them:
- “My attorney was very experienced and professional. I recommend this law firm, everyone is very intelligent in how they handle themselves and helped us get the best results for our situation.” – Victor Escobar
- “They really seek to get the best compensation and I recommend the services of Domingo Garcia. My case was resolved soon and with a just resolution.” – Jose Parr
Rideshare accidents can leave you in financial, physical, and psychological turmoil, and we’ll work to help you recover as quickly as possible.
How the Domingo Garcia Team Will Fight for You After a Rideshare Accident in Texas
Our entire team bands together to help clients in their times of need. Our duties will include:
- Collecting evidence from your accident
- Identifying all liable parties
- Calculating the cost of your damages
- Documenting your losses
- Representing you in settlement negotiations
- Completing any necessary trial
We will handle your fight for compensation from start to finish. You’ll be able to focus on your health and recovery as Domingo Garcia handles your claim or lawsuit.
We Will Demonstrate the Liability of the At-Fault Party or Parties
In Texas, you must demonstrate that another person caused your accident and injuries to collect damages. On your own, this can be a daunting process. As your attorneys, we can handle evidence collection and present your case to the insurer, judge, or jury.
Evidence We May Collect
Some evidence may be difficult to gather on your own, especially if it’s protected under privacy laws. Here are some examples of evidence we could collect to bolster your claim:
- Accident reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert testimony, such as accident reconstruction services
- Physical and forensic evidence of the accident scene and your injuries
- Medical records and your physician’s testimony
- Bills and other documentation of your financial losses
- Phone records, driving records, background checks, and other information on the at-fault party
- Dash cam and surveillance footage
- Driving logs, often protected by company owners
We will use the evidence we gather to build a case against the at-fault party. With this information, we must demonstrate the four legal elements of negligence.
How We Demonstrate Negligence in Car Accident Cases
To connect the driver’s negligence to your injuries, we must establish these four criteria:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care. This is typically a given in car accident cases. Whether you were a fellow driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian, the responsible party owed you caution and care.
- The at-fault driver breached this legal duty of care. If the at-fault party broke a law, this will satisfy this requirement. For example, if the negligent driver ran a red light, they breached their duty of care to drive safely.
- Their breach of duty caused your accident and injuries. It’s not enough that the negligent party acted irresponsibly. Their actions must be the direct or proximate cause of your accident. If the driver ran a red light and collided with you when you had the right-of-way, then there is a clear cause-and-effect relationship between their actions and the collision.
- You suffered losses as a result of the accident. We will use your medical records, bills, and personal testimony to show that you’ve suffered as a result of the collision.
Potential At-Fault Parties We May Pursue for Your Losses
Liability isn’t always apparent in cases like these. For example, rideshare drivers are independent contractors, not employees. As a result, Uber and Lyft aren’t strictly liable for accidents their contractors cause. However, this doesn’t mean they won’t be financially liable due to their required insurance coverage.
Rideshare accidents can happen to anyone at any time, so potentially liable parties could include:
- Third-party motorists
- The Lyft or Uber Driver
- Truckers or their employers
- Bus drivers or their employers
- Municipalities responsible for road maintenance
- Car or car part manufacturers
- Maintenance technicians for cars or trucks
Whoever is responsible for your collision, our personal injury lawyers will uncover the evidence required to prove liability for your losses.
Our Texas Accident Lawyers Understand Rideshare Insurance Coverage
Rideshare drivers must have a certain amount of insurance coverage. The amount that is available through these policies depends on the status of the driver and their level of liability in the accident. Rideshare drivers can also benefit from these policies if they were not at fault in the accident.
Texas Law Requires Rideshare Companies to Offer Rideshare Insurance
Most personal auto insurance policies do not cover rideshare accidents. So, per the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), Uber and Lyft have to provide coverage to cover property damage and bodily injury in the event that the driver doesn’t have appropriate coverage. Uber and Lyft have comparable policies to protect passengers, third-party motorists, and the drivers themselves.
Who Covers the Accident If the App Was Off at the Time of the Collision?
If the rideshare driver caused the accident, and the app was off, their personal auto insurance will apply. If the rideshare driver was not at fault, then the responsible party’s liability insurance policy will be liable for damages.
Who Covers the Accident If the Driver Was Waiting for Drive Requests?
The app was on, and the driver was waiting for requests when they caused the collision. In this case, the rideshare company would offer:
- $50,000 bodily injury coverage per person
- $100,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 property damage per accident
Usually, the rideshare company would require the rideshare driver to use their personal policy first.
Who Covers the Accident If the Driver Was En-Route to Pick Up a Passenger?
If the driver was on the way to pick up a passenger or was in the process of delivering a passenger when they caused the collision, the rideshare company would offer $1,000,000 in bodily injury liability insurance coverage.
If the driver purchased comprehensive and collision coverage, the company would also pay up to the cash value of the damaged vehicle (after a $2,500 deductible).
These policies also protect drivers in the event they suffer a crash during deliveries. If the responsible party is uninsured or underinsured, Uber and Lyft can supplement the driver’s personal insurance.
What to Do If Your Rideshare Driver Gets in an Accident
If you were a rideshare passenger during a collision, you may feel confused about your next steps. It’s a little different when you’re not behind the wheel, and your car wasn’t involved in the accident. However, it’s important to collect your own evidence and advocate for yourself.
Here are some considerations in the aftermath of your rideshare accident in Texas:
Call the Police
Whether you call or someone else does, it’s important to make sure an officer comes to the accident scene. Communicate to whoever makes the call whether you need emergency medical care. If the officer asks for your statement, give a thorough but objective account of the accident. Don’t theorize about the cause of the collision; instead, simply state your experience.
If Possible, Take Photos and Videos
Include the vehicles, the accident scene, your injuries, and any other conditions that may be relevant to the incident. For example, if road construction created limited visibility, include photos of these conditions.
Get the Contact Information of Everyone Involved
This includes the contact information of eyewitnesses, drivers, and other passengers. Your attorney can get their statements later on to support your case.
Take Screenshots of Your Ride Through the App
If you suffered injuries as a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, take a screenshot of the ride’s details. This will include valuable information such as your driver’s name and the approximate time of the incident.
Seek Medical Attention Right Away
If you don’t accept emergency medical care at the scene, visit your primary care physician or an urgent care center the same day. Not only will this protect your health from the complications of an unseen injury, but it will validate your claims that the accident caused your injuries.
Consider Your Legal Options
An attorney can help you fill in the gaps, especially if you’re severely injured. Not only can they visit the accident scene and gather information when you’re unable, but they can contact your insurance company and communicate with all of the involved parties on your behalf.
Our Texas Rideshare Accident Lawyers Commit to Your Rights
You may benefit from legal representation after a rideshare accident for a few different reasons. First and foremost, rideshare accident cases can get complicated pretty quickly. If you’re dealing with multiple potentially liable parties and large insurance companies, an attorney may be able to handle communications and negotiations more easily.
In addition, if you’re severely injured, it can be difficult to juggle your recovery and a legal case on your own. Our personal injury attorneys can take these burdens off of your shoulders, so you can focus on your health.
How Much does It Cost to Hire a Texas Rideshare Accident Lawyer?
Our personal injury law firm operates on contingency. This means you won’t owe us anything until after we successfully resolve your case. Under this agreement, you can enjoy these benefits:
- No retainer fees
- No upfront costs
- No filing fees
- No out-of-pocket expenses
We know you have a lot to worry about after an accident, and your finances are typically at the top of that list. That’s why we represent accident victims with no upfront costs or fees. We can even assess your options during a free initial consultation.
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents
Typically, the most common causes of rideshare accidents are the same as any other car accident; however, rideshare drivers are more at risk of experiencing:
- Fatigue. Drivers must limit themselves to twelve-hour workdays, but as they can work whenever they want, this may include the early hours of the morning or very late at night. After a long day or lack of sleep, they may be more susceptible to mistakes on the road.
- Distracted driving. Rideshare drivers have a lot to juggle when transporting passengers. Not only do they have to focus on the road and make the right decisions moment-to-moment, but they may look at navigation, talk with passengers, and fiddle with the air conditioner––taking their minds elsewhere.
- Unfamiliarity with an area. Anyone is susceptible to an accident when they’re less familiar with the area. As rideshare drivers spend large parts of their days in areas they are unfamiliar with, this may make them more likely to make a mistake.
- Inexperience. It’s not possible to prepare for every eventuality, however, more inexperienced drivers are at higher risk of avoidable accidents. For example, they may make mistakes when road construction redirects them, and they’re unsure of where to go.
The rideshare driver may not be the at-fault party; however, every driver is responsible for monitoring their health, awareness, and limitations when they’re responsible for other people’s safety. Anyone who causes a collision should pay for victims’ damages.
Common Types of Auto Accident Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), car accidents are one of the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These common but serious injuries can range in severity from concussions (usually recoverable in a few weeks to a few months) to long-term causes of disability. In addition to this common injury, there are several other common car accident injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bruising and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Chest injuries, including pulmonary damage
The Severity of Your Injuries May Affect Your Settlement or Verdict
While not always the case, it is often true that more severe injuries merit higher settlements or verdicts. This is because more severe injuries have farther-reaching financial effects on injury victims. Not only will a severely injured person have more extensive medical expenses, but they may also suffer a loss of future earning capacity.
As your attorneys, we want to account for all of the implications of your injuries. We will fight for the compensation that appropriately compensates you for your current and future needs.
Rideshare Accident Statistics
While ridesharing services reduce alcohol-related crashes in many urban environments (per the American Journal of Epidemiology), there is also a correlation between the rise of ridesharing services and an increase in injury crashes and fatal accidents.
While Uber’s 2019-2020 Safety Report states that 99.9 percent of rides end without incident, research from the University of Chicago suggests that an increase of rideshare vehicles on the road may be responsible for a three percent uptick in accident fatalities.
Research is still underway concerning the effects of ridesharing on road safety; yet, if you suffered injuries in a rideshare accident, the cause-and-effect relationship probably seems pretty clear. An attorney can help you prove the link between the accident, your injuries, and your losses.
Call Domingo Garcia Today for a Free Consultation About Your Rideshare Accident Case in Texas
We want to ensure you get justice for your rideshare accident in Texas, and a lawyer from Domingo Garcia will fight for fair compensation on your behalf.
Call today for your free consultation. Do not wait to call, as we may face a deadline for filing your case.