If you were recently in an accident that left you with life-altering injuries, we are so sorry for your losses. We understand this is a difficult time for you, and we would like to help ease your burden by demanding fair compensation from whoever caused your injury.
Rather than pursue compensation on your own, you can depend on a Texas catastrophic injury lawyer from Domingo Garcia. Our personal injury lawyers are ready to handle your case.
After Suffering a Catastrophic Injury in Texas
Texas law gives personal injury survivors the right to sue an organization, agency, or individual that causes an accident through careless behavior. Domingo Garcia can help you file an insurance claim or lawsuit.
After you hire us, one of our Texas lawyers can get to work on building a strong case and presenting it to the right parties. We can communicate with insurers and the liable party to protect your rights. While each catastrophic injury case is different, yours may progress along the following lines:
- We assess your case over the phone. This service is free and does not require you to leave your home or the hospital—an important feature for those with catastrophic injuries.
- If you retain our services, we can talk to you in more detail about what happened and what kinds of injuries you have suffered.
- We investigate your accident, collecting evidence from police reports, medical records, witnesses, and other important sources that can prove everything you have told us.
- We send a demand letter to the insurance company. This includes a short summary of your accident, the at-fault party’s role in the accident, and how much money you need to cover your losses.
- We either negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement, or we take the liable party to court to seek a jury award. Our strategy may depend on your situation and the insurance company’s response to the demand letter.
- We finalize whatever agreement has been reached, you sign the agreement, and you receive compensation.
It is very hard, if not impossible, to guess how long this process will take. Rest assured that our firm can stay with you no matter how much time it takes to close your case.
We Seek Compensation for Catastrophic Injury Survivors
Our settlements and verdicts reflect both the severity of our clients’ injuries and the hard work we put into helping them seek justice. In one case, after a worker fell and was paralyzed due to a lack of guardrails, we recovered $4.35 million on the worker’s behalf. We can even arrange to have our insurer cover your medical bills until your case is settled.
Among the damages you can seek from the at-fault party’s insurance company are:
- Medical expenses: Medical bills for catastrophic injuries can add up very quickly, especially if you will still need treatment years from now.
- Loss of income: The more serious the injury, the more time you may have to take off from work to heal and receive treatment.
- Loss of earning capacity: Very serious injuries may prevent you from ever going back to work at all, robbing you of the money you expected to use to support your family for years to come.
The above are all classified as “economic damages,” or compensation for your monetary losses. For the severe physical and emotional losses that catastrophic injuries cause, you can seek “non-economic damages,” such as:
- Pain and suffering: You should never have had to go through so much physical and emotional anguish.
- Reduced quality of life: After a catastrophic injury, you may need help with basic tasks or be unable to perform certain activities ever again.
- Disability: Catastrophic injuries generally lead to physical or intellectual disabilities, such as spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
By combining the money you have lost with the injuries you suffered, we can figure out how much the insurance company should pay you. If your loved one passed away from their injuries, additional types of compensation may be available.
How Catastrophic Injuries Can Happen in Texas
Far fewer catastrophic injuries would happen if everyone consistently behaved in a respectful, reasonable way. Unfortunately, people and corporations are not always as considerate as they should be. They end up causing accidents like:
- Motor vehicle collisions: The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports that 19,448 people suffered a “serious injury” in a car accident in 2021. This includes accidents caused by speeding, distraction, and more.
- Slip and fall accidents: Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 33.9% of older adults in Texas reported falling in 2018—the highest rate in the nation.
- Defective products: From faulty tires to unsafe medications, defective products can do severe damage.
- Workplace accidents: The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that, in 2020, 54,270 workers suffered “traumatic injuries or disorders” on the job. This includes injuries from falling objects, motor vehicle accidents, and more.
The one thing all catastrophic injury cases have in common is that someone did not behave as they should, and another person—you—paid the price. Our team wants nothing more than to see you get every penny you deserve.
Call Us After a Catastrophic Injury in Texas
Even if you are not sure if your injuries meet the threshold of “catastrophic,” Domingo Garcia wants to hear from you. Our firm offers free case assessments, so you can figure out if you have a case at no charge and with no obligation.
Our lawyers are proud to serve Texas residents who want help with personal injury and wrongful death actions. Call us today.