Se Habla Español

Get your free Consultation
Current wait time: 10 seconds

How Long do You Have to Report a Hit-and-Run in Texas?

Home » FAQs » How Long do You Have to Report a Hit-and-Run in Texas?


Texas Transportation Code § 550.026 states that motorists involved in accidents that cause injury or significant property damage “shall immediately by the quickest means of communication give notice of the accident.” Even if your hit-and-run accident did not cause injury or severe property damage, you should report the accident to law enforcement as soon as possible.

Once you have reported your accident, you may turn your attention toward physical, psychological, and financial recovery. Our car accident lawyer stands ready to guide your case for compensation.

You May Have Two Years to Seek Compensation for a Hit-and-Run Accident in Texas

While the Transportation Code requires that you report your accident quickly, you may have a bit longer to pursue compensation for your damages. Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 generally allows you to file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of a hit-and-run accident.

Whether you file a lawsuit may depend on:

  • Whether law enforcement officials locate the hit-and-run driver
  • Whether you are able to recover fair compensation for your damages through an insurance claim
  • Whether the other circumstances of your case warrant a lawsuit

Our legal team will review your case and provide personalized legal advice.

Outlining Your Options for Seeking Compensation After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Texas

There are generally two options for seeking compensation after any motor vehicle accident. These include filing insurance claims and filing a lawsuit.  Our car accident lawyers can not only help you with both a claim and a lawsuit, but also maximize the settlement you will receive.

The insurance process becomes complicated when a liable motorist leaves the scene of an accident. The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) explains that motorists must carry insurance that covers property damage and injuries they cause during an accident. Because Texas is an at-fault state, the liable motorist covers accident-related losses.

So, if a motorist does not have insurance, who covers your damages?

Your Own Insurance May Cover Your Damages After a Texas Auto Collision

Auto insurers in Texas must offer uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). This coverage protects you—at least partially—when a motorist strikes your vehicle and leaves the scene. 

UM/UIM insurance coverage may help pay for:

  • Damage to your vehicle
  • Medical costs

Our attorneys will review your insurance policy to determine if you have UM/UIM coverage. We’ll explain how much coverage you have and whether insurance coverage alone will pay for your accident-related losses.

An Attorney from Our Firm Can File a Lawsuit Against a Liable Motorist

If law enforcement officials locate the motorist who fled your accident scene, we can seek the compensation you deserve through a lawsuit. You may file a lawsuit against the liable motorist because:

  • Insurance coverage does not adequately cover the cost of your hit-and-run accident
  • You have specific damages that insurance does not cover
  • You decide, along with your lawyer, that suing is an appropriate measure to hold the motorist accountable for fleeing the scene

An attorney from our firm will fight for the justice you deserve. Our team has experience representing many hit-and-run accident victims in Texas, and we’d like to represent you, too.

An Attorney from Our Firm Can File a Lawsuit Against the UM/UIM Insurance Company

Your UM/UIM insurance carrier owes you a duty to evaluate ALL of your injuries and damages from a hit and run accident.  If the UM/UIM carrier either (1) fails to make a settlement offer or (2) offers you an unreasonably low amount of money you can file a lawsuit against your UM/UIM carrier.  This lawsuit will not affect your insurance rates.

One interesting twist in a UM/UIM lawsuit is your attorney can make the insurance company pay attorneys’ fees in addition to your personal injury damages.  This is a rare occurrence car accident cases, but our expert UM/UIM attorneys know how to collect these attorneys fees in hit and run accidents.

Damages a Hit-and-Run Victim in Texas May Pursue Compensation for

Motor vehicle accidents can cause substantial damages including:

  • Non-economic damages: We see clients suffer physical pain and suffering, emotional distress, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), lost quality of life, and other types of non-economic damages because of motor vehicle accidents.
  • Medical expenses: Accident victims may require medical transport, emergency care, medical imaging, surgery, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and other medical services after their accident. 
  • Lost income: Accident-related injuries can cost a victim income, bonuses, earning power, promotions, productivity, and even their job or career. Our team will identify and calculate the cost of your accident-related professional damages.
  • Property damage: Damage to your vehicle and other property entitles you to compensation. You may also need money to cover temporary transportation.

The person who caused your damages should be responsible for covering them. We will investigate your case to help locate the at-fault party. 

When Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Texas?

If you decide that hiring a lawyer is the right option for you, don’t hesitate to begin looking for a legal team. The more time you give your attorney to gather evidence and speak to witnesses, the better. 

Our team will protect you, begin forming your case, and work toward a resolution as quickly as possible.

Call Us for a Free Consultation About Your Hit-and-Run Accident in Texas

Our firm is ready to fight for you. We’ll lead every step of your insurance claim or lawsuit, and we only get a fee if we win.

Call Domingo Garcia today for a free consultation.

    Free Consultation


    What Happened?

    By submitting you agree to our Privacy Policy

    Find An Experienced Lawyer Near You!

    Dallas Office

    Houston Office

    Odessa Office

    Fort Worth Office

    Arlington Office

    Meet Domingo

    Attorney Domingo Garcia has led an active civic, legal and political career. He was born in Midland, Texas and grew up in Dallas, Texas. He received his B.A. in Political Science from the University of North Texas in 1980.

    Continue Reading…