A distracted driver can cause an accident that results in life-changing injuries—or even death. If you or a loved one sustained an injury due to a driver who did not pay attention to their vehicle or the road, we could help. Our Houston distracted driving accident lawyer will prove the cause of your accident and build the strongest possible compensation case on your behalf.
Our results-driven team will help you recover the costs of your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. At Domingo Garcia, we never stop fighting for the injured clients and surviving families we serve.
The High Cost of Distracted Driving in Houston
Distracted driving accidents can lead to injuries, property damage, and loss of income that take an incredible toll on their victims. The following statistics indicate the physical, emotional, and financial costs of distracted driving crashes:
- According to Houston Fire Department statistics, distracted driving contributes to as many as 20% of all fatal car accidents yearly.
- Across the state, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) cited distracted driving as the cause of 2,934 severe injuries and 431 fatalities in 2021.
- Nationwide, distracted driving costs as much as $40 billion annually, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Our Houston car accident lawyer will fight to recover appropriate compensation for your injuries and property damage. First, we carefully detail your financial expenses and losses. Then, we’ll work hard to ensure the at-fault driver covers these costs—not you or your family.
Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a distraction is anything that pulls a driver’s attention off the road and the safe operation of their vehicle. It identifies three primary types of distractions:
- Visual distractions cause drivers to take their eyes off the road.
- Manual distractions cause drivers to take their hands off the wheel.
- Cognitive distractions cause drivers to focus on someone other than driving.
We typically think of distracted driving as texting while driving. However, other acts can also distract a driver, including the following:
- Adjusting the vehicle’s temperature
- Eating or drinking
- Grooming or applying makeup
- Interacting with passengers, children, and pets
- Talking on a cellphone
- Using or adjusting the navigation system
- Changing radio stations or music choices
- Accidents and activities outside the vehicle
When our legal team investigates your case, we’ll prove the distraction that led to your collision. In addition, we’ll work equally hard to hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions and the toll the accident took on your life and lifestyle.
Compensation We Recover for You After a Distracted Driving Accident
At Domingo Garcia, our team works hard to obtain the best possible financial outcome for your case. When we go to bat for you, we pursue the following compensation:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future loss of income
- Treatment-related travel expenses
- Property damage or destruction
- Diminished property value
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental or emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Wrongful Death Claims Following a Distracted Driving Crash
Our team also helps Houston families recover wrongful death damages after losing a loved one. These damages include funeral and burial expenses, the loss of your loved one’s income, and their domestic contributions to your family. In addition, you could also recover compensation for your loss of consortium, companionship, guidance, and support.
Car Accident Filing Deadlines in Houston
Building a compelling car accident case takes time and attention to detail. When our car accident team handles your claim, we ensure your case meets all legal parameters—including Texas’ statute of limitations. According to Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you generally have two years:
- From the accident date to file your personal injury lawsuit
- From the day your family member died to file your wrongful death lawsuit
Filing your lawsuit on time is a critical part of your case. If you don’t meet the filing deadline, you could inadvertently relinquish your right to recover damages in a trial. However, our law firm will not let that happen. Instead, with sufficient notice from you, we will file your lawsuit within the allotted time.
Our Investigation Will Prove the At-Fault Driver’s Financial Liability
To recover compensation from the distracted driver, you must prove the following components of negligence:
- Duty of care: The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive safely.
- Breach of duty: The driver fiddled with the radio, shifting their focus off the road.
- Causation: The distracted driver ran a stop sign and collided with your vehicle.
- Damages: You sustained a broken leg and thousands of dollars in property damage due to the accident.
To establish these facts and bolster your claim, our legal team thoroughly investigates the collision. First, we listen to your version of events. Then, we collect evidence and paperwork that substantiate the accident’s cause.
Evidence We Collect to Steer Your Distracted Driving Case Toward a Favorable Outcome
A favorable settlement in your case will depend on the evidence. Most cases like yours resolve out of court based on the weight of the evidence and how well it indicates negligence and fault. So, to strengthen your case, we collect the following evidence:
- Objective statements from accident witnesses
- Accident report and the investigating officer’s notes
- Medical records and bills that detail your injuries
- Employment records that document your income loss
- Accident scene photos and reconstruction reports
- Dashcam, smartphone, and traffic camera footage
Our legal team does not expect you to collect evidence while you cope with your physical and emotional recovery. Instead, leave it to us. While we build your evidence file, you can focus on getting better.
Get a Free Consultation for Your Houston Car Accident Case
Were you or someone you love injured in a car accident caused by a distracted driver? Or did a loved one die from crash injuries? If so, our Houston distracted driving accident lawyer will help you recover financial compensation.
Founded 35 years ago, Domingo Garcia is passionate about meeting the needs of our injured clients. Contact our consultation team today for your complimentary review and start building your case.