Se Habla Español

Get your free Consultation
Current wait time: 10 seconds

What If I Can’t Work After an Accident?

Home » FAQs » What If I Can’t Work After an Accident?

What if I can't work after an accident? Law Office of Domingo Garcia

If you can’t work after an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your lost income and other accident-related damages from the party that caused your injury. You deserve to recover a settlement that compensates you for the losses you suffered because of an accident that someone else caused. 

A personal injury lawyer from our team can help you pursue compensation after an accident. 

How Can You Recover Lost Income If You Can’t Work After an Accident?

If you suffered physical harm in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the right to recover income lost due to your injuries and recovery. You can do this with a liability insurance claim against the at-fault party or a personal injury lawsuit. 

Furthermore, if you sustained a debilitating or catastrophic injury that interferes long-term with your ability to earn a living, you can seek compensation for your lost earning capacity. 

What Other Personal Injury Damages Can You Seek?

If you can’t work after an accident, your injuries are likely severe enough that you probably have medical bills and other related expenses. In addition to lost income, you may qualify for compensation for:

  • Medical treatment. Damages may include the cost of ambulance transportation, emergency department services, medical procedures, prescription drugs, mobility aids, physical and cognitive rehabilitation, long-term nursing, and any other necessary current or future medical expenses. 
  • Non-economic damages. You can seek financial awards for severe and chronic pain, disfigurement, scarring, disabling injuries, emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment, and other quality-of-life reductions. 
  • Personal property damages. You can pursue compensation for personal items damaged or destroyed during your accident. For example, if your injuries resulted from a car accident, you can seek the cost of repairs or your vehicle’s fair market value if the damages are a total loss.
  • Household services and miscellaneous expenses. A severe injury can affect your life in many ways, and you may have various expenses that can add up to a significant sum. For example, you may need to pay for a rental car, modify your home or vehicle to accommodate your injury, or hire help for household services you cannot perform, such as cleaning, cooking, and property maintenance. 

If your loved one died from a fatal accident injury, you can seek wrongful death damages. You can pursue wrongful death compensation for the loss of the deceased’s companionship, society, support, services, and inheritance they would likely have earned and saved had they lived. 

How Much Is Your Accident Case Worth?

According to the National Safety Council (NSC), accidental injuries cost Americans billions of dollars in lost income and productivity annually. If you can’t work after an accident, the value of your lost income will depend on your current earnings, the degree to which your injuries affect your future earning potential, your age, and other factors. 

An attorney with our firm can help you identify and pursue fair compensation for your current losses and expected future expenses. We can do this by reviewing your pay stubs, bills, receipts, and invoices. We can also hire and consult with healthcare professionals, economists, and vocational experts to better understand the ongoing economic impact of your injuries. 

How Long do You Have to Pursue Compensation After an Accident?

The statute of limitations in your state explains how long after your accident or your loved one’s death you have to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. If you miss the deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case. 

An expired statute will also affect your insurance claims. If the insurance company knows you can no longer take legal action, it reduces your bargaining power and may result in a denied claim or underpaid settlement. 

Who Is Financially Responsible for Your Accident?

A party is financially responsible for your accident if they caused it due to their reckless, wrongful, or negligent behavior. The individual or entity at fault will depend on the type of accident you suffered and may include:

  • A negligent driver. If you suffered injuries in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident, you may have a case against a liable driver. A driver may also be liable if your injuries resulted from a pedestrian or bicycle accident. 
  • An employer. If your motor vehicle accident involved a commercial truck driver or another motorist driving as part of their employment, their employer may also bear financial responsibility. Additionally, you may have a case against a nonsubscriber employer if you sustained injuries in a construction or workplace accident. 
  • A property owner. You may have a case against a private or government property owner if you sustained injuries in a car accident caused by problems with a roadway. A property owner may also be liable if your injuries resulted from a slip and fall, a dog bite, or another premises liability issue. 
  • A manufacturer. The liable party could be a manufacturer if your accident resulted from a product liability issue, such as a defective vehicle or auto part, faulty tools or safety equipment, or a dangerous drug or medical device. 

You May Want to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney

Legally, you do not have to hire a lawyer to recover your lost income, but an attorney with our firm can help you with your insurance claim or lawsuit in the following ways:

  • Investigating your accident and collecting case evidence
  • Identifying and calculating your damages
  • Preparing and filing case paperwork
  • Communicating with insurance agents, opposing counsel, and other involved parties on your behalf
  • Aggressively negotiating for a fair settlement
  • Representing you at trial if necessary

Contact Domingo Garcia About Your Personal Injury Case Today

We can help you pursue your lost income and other damages if you can’t work after an accident. We take cases on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you pay nothing upfront and do not owe attorney’s fees until we win or settle your case.
Call us today for a free consultation and learn more about how we can serve you

    Free Consultation


    What Happened?

    By submitting you agree to our Privacy Policy

    Find An Experienced Lawyer Near You!

    Dallas Office

    Houston Office

    Odessa Office

    Fort Worth Office

    Arlington Office

    Meet Domingo

    Attorney Domingo Garcia has led an active civic, legal and political career. He was born in Midland, Texas and grew up in Dallas, Texas. He received his B.A. in Political Science from the University of North Texas in 1980.

    Continue Reading…