As with other motor vehicle accidents, you may be eligible to recover compensation after an accident involving a rideshare vehicle. However, pursuing compensation on your own may be challenging.
Seeking legal help may increase the chances of your case reaching a satisfying conclusion. A Fort Worth rideshare accident lawyer from Domingo Garcia can help you throughout your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Ridesharing Options in Fort Worth
Whether you don’t own a vehicle or don’t want to rent a car when you travel in the Fort Worth area, you may need another option to get where you need to go in certain circumstances. Public transportation and taxi services are available in some areas, but they aren’t the only way for people to get transportation quickly.
Ridesharing services allow for flexible transportation on a rider’s schedule. These options are often cheaper than traditional taxi services, while still allowing riders to get where they need to go. They have become more popular with increased smartphone use and make it easy for someone to request a ride whenever needed.
Uber and Lyft are two popular options for ridesharing services. These ridesharing options often use a smartphone application to help connect drivers with people who require their services. Users simply tell the app when and where they want a driver to pick them up and drop them off, and the app will connect them to an available driver in the area.
Rideshare Accidents in Fort Worth
Unfortunately, accidents can happen when you ride with an Uber or Lyft driver. Or you may end up in a collision with an Uber or Lyft driver when you’re in another vehicle.
Knowing what to do after experiencing a rideshare accident can be confusing. Who do you contact? What action steps are most important? Whose insurance pays for what?
Uber and Lyft drivers are often independent contractors instead of company employees, which means Uber and Lyft might not always be responsible if one of their drivers is in an accident.
Ridesharing services have limited regulations, so the insurance or payment situation isn’t always straightforward when accidents happen. A careful review of the evidence will be necessary to determine fault in a rideshare accident. If you’re unsure how to do this on your own, a Fort Worth rideshare accident attorney can help you.
Possible Causes of Rideshare Accidents in Fort Worth
Rideshare accidents can happen based on several factors. Often more than one factor contributes to an accident, and multiple drivers or groups may share the blame. A few contributing factors to rideshare accidents may include the following:
- An Uber or Lyft driver becomes distracted, such as by cell phone or GPS use or passengers in their vehicle.
- An Uber or Lyft driver operates their vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Weather conditions like rain or darkness make it difficult for an Uber or Lyft driver to navigate the road safely.
- An Uber or Lyft driver is inexperienced and fails to follow road signs and traffic laws.
- A construction area, potholes, or other obstacles create an area where driving safely is harder.
- More drivers on the road and more people using rideshare options may increase the chances of collisions and accidents.
Whatever the reason for a rideshare accident, the accident’s aftermath can lead to financial, physical, and emotional costs. The individual or entity responsible for the rideshare accident may owe monetary compensation to any injured parties.
Injuries in a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident
You could experience various injuries in a rideshare accident. Like all motor vehicle accidents, rideshare accidents may lead to the following injuries:
- Concussions or other traumatic brain injuries: These may require monitoring and rehab. You may have specific limitations while you recover. Brain injuries can also cause permanent damage and sometimes lead to lifelong disability.
- Broken bones, including small bones in the hands and feet: You may need corrective surgery after fractures. You may be unable to perform specific job tasks or use the broken bone while it heals. You may need a specialized cast to ensure the bones align and heal properly.
- Internal bleeding: This can be life-threatening, and you may require emergency medical intervention.
- Burns: These can happen because of exposure to certain car fluids or a vehicle fire. Burns can range in severity, and severe burns can be life-threatening. Some burns require extensive recovery, and you may need skin grafts for more severe burns.
- Neck and back injuries: You may need physical or occupational therapy to help you recover after these injuries. You may have certain mobility restrictions in the short and long term. Spinal cord injuries can be especially devastating.
Injuries can require extensive recovery time. You may need to be on temporary disability. You be unable to complete specific tasks related to your job. You may also spend a lot of time attending medical appointments to ensure you recover fully. The costs after a rideshare accident can add up quickly.
Sometimes you might not recognize the full extent of your injuries at the time of the accident. This is just one reason you may want to work with a rideshare accident lawyer serving Fort Worth—they can help you calculate the scope and value of your damages.
Catastrophic Injuries and Wrongful Death in a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident Case
In extreme cases, a rideshare accident could result in catastrophic, life-altering injuries or death. For example, you could suffer a spinal cord injury that causes permanent disability or a traumatic brain injury that causes impaired cognitive function.
In these situations, what happened in the accident forever alters your life, making your day-to-day life difficult. Perhaps you cannot work your old job or participate in the hobbies or activities you used to enjoy.
In other situations, rideshare accidents can lead to the death of individuals involved in the accident. Death could be immediate, or someone may succumb to severe injuries they experienced in a rideshare accident days, weeks, or even months later.
After experiencing a catastrophic injury or the wrongful death of a loved one, you may want a Fort Worth rideshare car accident lawyer to help you seek an appropriate settlement and compensation from those responsible.
Compensation in a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident
Compensation can ease the difficulty that occurs after a rideshare accident. Sometimes, receiving payment involves negotiation and settling with the involved parties. The injured party may also file a lawsuit to recover compensation.
Factors that May Influence Compensation in a Rideshare Accident
Since each rideshare accident is unique, compensation amounts can vary significantly between rideshare accident cases. Compensation in a rideshare accident will depend on several factors, such as:
- Applicable insurance policies, including the Uber driver’s insurance, Uber’s insurance, and your insurance
- Who was at fault for the accident, such as the rideshare company, the rideshare driver, or someone else. Other involved parties could include construction companies or vehicle manufacturers.
- Your involvement in the accident, including if you were an Uber passenger or if you were in another vehicle hit by an Uber or Lyft driver
- The unique circumstances of what happened and what damages you sustained. Cases of more significant injuries or wrongful death may result in higher payout amounts than those only involving minor injuries.
- Legal representation of the involved parties. Fort Worth rideshare accident lawyers are skilled at negotiation. Their experience can influence a case’s outcome and settlement amounts.
Components of Your Compensation Amount in a Rideshare Accident
In general, compensation or insurance payouts should cover the personal costs you incurred because of the accident. So, it can help cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle or other damaged property.
In a wrongful death case, compensation can include reimbursement for expenses related to your loved one’s death, such as funeral and burial costs. You could also receive compensation for the loss of household financial support or loss of the companionship your loved one provided.
Once your Fort Worth rideshare accident lawyer reviews your case, they can better understand what kind of compensation you can get and what negotiations need to take place.
Who Pays for a Rideshare Accident in Fort Worth?
In a rideshare accident, you may have been in the rideshare vehicle, or perhaps you were a driver or passenger in a car that the rideshare driver hit.
If you were in an accident that involved a rideshare vehicle, the ridesharing company may cover damage costs. For example, Uber may cover the costs of your injuries if you were a passenger in an Uber vehicle that was in an accident.
In other situations, the driver of the rideshare vehicle may have to cover the costs of damages. This may happen if the accident involved a rideshare driver, but the driver wasn’t logged into the ridesharing app at the time of the accident.
On the other hand, if you were in an accident with a rideshare driver and you were responsible for the accident, your insurance may have to cover the costs of the accident. These complex cases can be more straightforward if you seek appropriate legal help from a Fort Worth rideshare accident attorney.
Insurance Coverage Situations with Uber and Lyft
When Uber or Lyft drivers are not using the company’s app, the driver’s personal insurance should cover accident costs. However, things get more complicated when a driver is “on the job.”
Sometimes, Uber or Lyft’s insurance will cover accident costs when their drivers cause accidents. However, it depends on the circumstances of the accident and could also depend on the driver’s insurance.
Uber’s Insurance Policies
Uber offers specific coverage if the Uber driver was logged into the app at the time of the accident, but they had not yet received a ride request. In this situation, Uber may offer $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident of injury liability coverage. In addition, Uber may provide $25,000 for property damage liability coverage. These coverages only apply if the driver’s personal insurance coverage does not apply.
Coverage is different if the driver has accepted a ride request or has a rider in their vehicle at the time of the accident. In that case, Uber provides up to $1 million in liability coverage.
Lyft’s Insurance Policies
Lyft also covers its drivers in coverage amounts similar to Uber’s. For example, if a Lyft driver is logged into the app and waiting for a ride request when an accident occurs, Lyft offers up to $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident for bodily injury and $25,000 per accident for property damage.
If the Lyft driver is going to get passengers or driving passengers when an accident happens, Lyft offers up to $1 million of auto liability insurance.
Negligence in a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident Case
In all personal injury cases, negligence determines who receives compensation. Generally, negligence means that a person or group acted carelessly, and those careless actions injured someone.
If you were a passenger with Uber or Lyft and experienced an accident, negligence could look something like this:
- Duty of care: Your Uber or Lyft driver and, by extension, Uber or Lyft, had a particular duty to you as a passenger. Your driver was responsible for delivering you safely to your destination by exercising safe driving practices.
- Breach of duty: Your rideshare driver failed to meet their duty to you by action or inaction. For example, a driver may be negligent if they run a red light or engage in distracted driving.
- Causation: A rideshare accident occurs because of your driver’s careless actions.
- Damages: You experienced injuries and/or financial losses because of the rideshare accident.
Do I Need to Work With a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident Lawyer?
A Fort Worth rideshare accident lawyer helps with accident cases involving a rideshare vehicle. Sorting out insurance information and who is to blame can be challenging. A rideshare accident attorney will understand what Texas laws apply to your case and how to recover compensation.
Your lawyer can negotiate with the involved insurance companies to help ensure your payout adequately covers your injuries and damages. Your lawyer may seek to prove the Uber or Lyft driver’s negligence. Sometimes, your compensation may come from the driver’s personal insurance. In other cases, it may come from the ridesharing company.
A Fort Worth ridesharing accident attorney can also do the following:
- Review the involved insurance information, including what insurance will apply to your rideshare accident case
- Discuss what compensation you may be able to receive based on what happened and who was at fault for the rideshare accident
- Keep track of paperwork and ensure you meet deadlines related to your case
- Keep you informed about your rideshare accident case and answer your questions about its progression
Can I Afford to Hire a Fort Worth Rideshare Accident Lawyer?
Our team at Domingo Garcia will only bill you for our services if you successfully recover compensation from your rideshare accident case. We will review your case for free and offer suggestions about how to handle your case. If you decide that Domingo Garcia is a good fit to help you with your rideshare accident case, we will start working on your case immediately.
If we help you recover compensation, we will take a percentage of your compensation amount as our payment. Therefore, you do not have to worry about paying for our services upfront or out of pocket.
What Our Clients Have to Say
Our team at Domingo Garcia has over 35 years of experience helping clients in personal injury cases. We will work to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf and help you navigate complex legal challenges.
Here’s what just a few of our clients had to say after working with our legal team at Domingo Garcia:
- “I want to thank the good attention and efficiency in their work. They really seek to get the best compensation and I recommend the services of attorney Domingo Garcia. My case was resolved soon and with a just resolution. I do not regret hiring the Law Offices of Domingo Garcia for my car accident case.” – J.P.
- “I want to say thank you to attorney Miguel Cazarez and everyone at the Law Offices of Domingo Garcia, for winning my case. My attorney was very experienced and professional. I recommend this law firm, everyone is very intelligent in how they handle themselves and help us get the best results for our situation.” – V.E.
Settlements in Motor Vehicle Accident Cases
While the payout in every case differs, we have successfully helped many clients recover five-, six-, and even seven-figure compensation amounts. Feel free to review some of the notable settlements we’ve received for our clients in car accident cases.
Action Steps to Take After Experiencing a Rideshare Accident in Fort Worth
Rideshare accidents can cause panic and be emotionally traumatizing. It’s important to remember to take key steps after the accident to ensure everyone is safe and protect your right to compensation.
Call Emergency Medical Services and Get a Prompt Medical Evaluation
First, make sure to attend to immediate safety and health needs. Make sure you are in a safe location. You may need to call 911 to request emergency medical services or report the accident. If you are qualified and able to do so, you can perform first aid care or CPR on injured parties.
Even if you don’t require an ambulance ride, having a medical professional evaluate you is a good idea. They can assess your injuries and help ensure you get the necessary care.
An evaluation can also make future insurance claims easier. For example, it shows that you did not delay seeking medical treatment and that the accident caused your injuries.
Report and Share Information
You may need to report your ridesharing accident to multiple parties or groups. For example, you will likely need to notify law enforcement of the accident. You may need to answer questions from officers about what happened and your involvement in a rideshare accident. You will also need to notify the applicable insurance companies, which may include reporting the accident to Uber or Lyft.
Exchanging contact information is another crucial step that will make handling insurance claims and legal action steps easier. Give your contact and insurance information to the involved parties and get their information. You should also exchange contact information with witnesses who saw what happened.
Collect Accident Information Details
Collecting detailed information about the accident will also be helpful. Note what happened, what you did, and where the accident occurred. Details are critical, and it may be easiest to remember them immediately after the accident.
Whether or not the Uber or Lyft driver’s app was on during the accident may impact who covers your damages. Learning this information may be helpful.
You should also take pictures of the damages and the accident scene.
How Long do I Have to File a Rideshare Accident Lawsuit in Fort Worth?
Prompt action is a crucial component in a rideshare accident case. Negotiations and settling can take time, so it can be a good idea to seek legal help soon after experiencing a rideshare accident. If you file a lawsuit, you only have a limited time to do so.
In Texas, you have two years to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. Meeting with a Fort Worth rideshare car accident attorney early ensures you don’t miss the deadline for filing a lawsuit.
Begin Your Rideshare Accident Case Today with a Free Consultation
After experiencing a rideshare accident, you may be uncertain about legal action steps and how to recover compensation. You may want to accept the first offer from insurance companies without fully understanding what your case is worth.
However, getting a consultation lets you find a Fort Worth rideshare accident lawyer who fits your needs. At Domingo Garcia, you can get a consultation for free. We are ready to review your case. Contact us to get started.