If you are a victim of a hit-and-run accident, you should:
- Get an extensive medical evaluation to ensure your safety and establish a connection between the accident and your injuries
- Collect evidence at the scene of the accident, such as photos and witness contact information
- Notify your own insurance company immediately because you may be able to recover some of your accident-related damages immediately.
You may also decide to contact our law firm to discuss your options for pursuing justice. Hit-and-run cases can be considerably more complicated than other auto accident case types. We are ready to investigate your case and attempt to locate the hit-and-run driver.
Why Hire Our Lawyer After a Hit-and-Run Accident?
There are several reasons to hire our car accident lawyer after a hit-and-run accident, including:
- The importance of communicating with law enforcement officials: Whether or not law enforcement officials locate the hit-and-run driver is important to your case. Your attorney can remain in contact with law enforcement to monitor the progress of any related investigation.
- The protection of your rights: An accident victim’s rights come under threat the moment their accident happens. Namely, we’ll want to protect you from an insurance company that may owe you compensation. Such a company may try to coax you into making a false statement, accepting a lowball settlement, or acting against your own interests in another way.
- Your own health and recovery: You should get extensive medical treatment as soon as possible after your hit-and-run accident. A lawyer from our team will handle all of your legal needs so you can prioritize recovery.
- The need to get started on your case as quickly as possible: Each state has time limits you must follow if you plan to file a lawsuit. Our team will ensure you are aware of these timeframes, so you do not miss your chance to pursue compensation.
An attorney can also provide guidance during a profoundly confusing time. Most accident victims anticipate that the other motorist will stay at the scene. When they leave, you face unfamiliar circumstances. To a lawyer, however, hit-and-run accidents are familiar territory.
For a free legal consultation, call (214) 941-8300
Our Attorney Will Review Your Insurance Policy and Explain Your Coverage for a Hit-and-Run Accident
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) explains that uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) is a vital type of insurance coverage. If you purchased this coverage, your insurer pays you for your medical bills and vehicle repair costs in the event of a hit-and-run.
Our legal team will determine:
- Whether you have insurance that covers damages from your hit-and-run accident (including UM coverage)
- What amount of applicable insurance coverage you have
- Whether your insurance coverage will cover the total losses from your hit-and-run accident
If law enforcement officials do not identify the liable motorist, filing a claim with your own insurer is an option for recovering compensation. If we identify the liable motorist, we could file a claim with their insurer (if they have insurance) or sue them for damages.
Why Suing a Hit-and-Run Driver Could Make Sense
There are a few potential reasons to sue a hit-and-run driver, and our firm will advise you on whether we recommend suing or pursuing an insurance claim. You may choose to pursue a lawsuit if:
- The liable motorist has insurance, but their insurance coverage does not cover your accident-related losses
- The liable motorist does not have insurance, and your UM coverage does not cover your damages
- You simply determine that a lawsuit is necessary to exact justice for the damage the hit-and-run motorist caused you
Leaving the scene of an auto accident is an egregious form of negligence. Suing would be well within your rights after a hit-and-run collision.
Recovering Damages from the UM/UIM Insurance Company
It’s not uncommon for a UM/UIM to offer low-ball settlement offers or to disregard some of the damages you suffered in a hit-and-run accident. In some cases, they don’t make a settlement offer at all.
If you receive no offer or a low offer from a UM/UIM insurance company, you can file a lawsuit against them – which won’t impact your insurance rates.
Interestingly, your hit-and-run attorney can help you sue for attorney’s fees on top of the personal injury damages they owe you. This won’t always be necessary, but our attorneys have experience suing for such fees if it comes to that.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Other Ways that Our Car Accident Attorney Can Assist You After a Hit-and-Run Accident
Our firm will advise you on your options for financial recovery, examine the insurance landscape in your case, and protect your rights. We can also assist you by:
- Collecting all evidence that is relevant to your insurance claim or lawsuit
- Interviewing witnesses
- Documenting your damages
- Calculating the total cost of your losses
- Creating a detailed legal strategy for your case
- Negotiating a settlement with liable parties
- Completing a lawsuit, if appropriate
- Managing paperwork, communications, and every other feature of your case
A hit-and-run case often feels like a massive undertaking, but our attorneys have the experience and legal training to handle every aspect of your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Domingo Garcia Today for a Free Consultation After Your Hit-and-Run
Every victim of a hit-and-run accident deserves financial justice. Our team will work to ensure you get the justice you deserve.
Call Domingo Garcia today for your free consultation. There is no cost or obligation when you speak with us, so don’t wait.
Call or text (214) 941-8300 or complete
a Free Case Evaluation form