Any motor vehicle can cause extensive damage and injuries. However, 18-wheeler truck accidents can be particularly detrimental for those involved. Perhaps you have extensive medical bills from treatment or have had to take ample time off work to recover. It can be hard to know what to do next and what legal options you have available.
Proving Liability Can Be Complex in 18-Wheeler Trucking Accidents
- The truck driver: Sometimes, the driver of the 18-wheeler truck may be directly responsible for the accident. For example, drivers can become distracted or fail to follow traffic laws. In addition, they might be driving impaired because of drugs, alcohol, or sleep deprivation.
- The truck driver’s company: Many truck drivers are employed by trucking companies, although some may be independent contractors. So, the truck driver’s company could be responsible for an accident since they are the employer. For example, perhaps they failed to give the driver proper training or an appropriate workload.
hose responsible for the truck’s cargo: 18-wheeler trucks often carry large amounts of cargo. If this cargo is not secured, stored, or handled correctly, it can worsen the damage in an accident. So, those who loaded or were otherwise responsible for the truck’s cargo could be partially at fault for an accident.
- The truck manufacturer: If a truck manufacturer fails to install proper parts, the manufacturer may be at fault if an accident happens. For example, suppose a manufacturer installs faulty brakes. In that case, a truck might not be able to stop correctly and could end up in an accident.
- Groups influencing road conditions: Changes in road conditions can make accidents more likely. Therefore, groups like construction companies need to adequately warn drivers about changes they have made to road conditions. If they fail to do so, they could be responsible for accidents that occur where they are doing construction.
Depending on a group or person’s involvement, you could pursue compensation from more than one group. Having an attorney review who could be responsible for the accident can be helpful.
For a free legal consultation with a 18-wheeler truck accidents lawyer serving Houston, call (713) 349-1500
Safety and 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents
A company’s failure to follow these regulations can result in harm, such as through collisions or other accidents. They could also face fines and additional penalties depending on the regulations they violate.
Houston 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (713) 349-1500
educing Risks of Accidents with Large Trucks
While accidents can happen to anyone, drivers can take steps to minimize their risk of being involved in an 18-wheeler truck accident. When driving, you must be aware of what is happening around you. You should work to follow the rules of the road and avoid distractions. Being distracted can increase your accident risk.
You should also ensure you are not under the influence of any substances before you get behind the wheel. For example, alcohol can impair your ability to think clearly and respond to changes in road conditions.
Common Injuries and Damages Victims Suffer in Accidents with 18-Wheelers
18-wheeler truck accidents can cause extensive injuries and damage. Your specific injuries will depend on the unique circumstances of your accident. Sometimes, you might only experience minor injuries that require a little recovery time. Other times, you may have to take an extended leave of absence from work. You may also not be able to work at the same job or in the same capacity as you did before the accident.
Potential injuries in an 18-wheeler accident includes the following:
- Fractures: Broken bones require proper medical attention to heal correctly. Some could require surgical correction, and often you cannot use the limb normally until after it heals.
lunt force trauma: This can include crushing injuries or collision injuries. Blunt force trauma can cause damage to tissues, bones, and vital organ functions. For example, blunt force trauma to the chest can be life-threatening.
- Spinal cord injuries: These can cause life-long disability. For example, you might lose feeling and your ability to move below the level of the damage.
- Traumatic brain injuries: These can impact your ability to think and reason. Some traumatic brain injuries can be life-threatening, and others can lead to lifelong disability for victims.
- Soft tissue injuries: Soft tissue injuries can include things like sprains, bruises, or lacerations. While some may be minimal, others could take extensive time to heal and cause substantial pain for victims.
Some injuries might cause you to become permanently disabled. In even more severe cases, an 18-wheeler truck accident can be fatal. In a situation where your loved one was killed in an accident, the involved case is a wrongful death case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
hat Should I Do if I Am Involved in an Accident With an 18-Wheeler Truck?
Getting prompt medical treatment is also essential. You may need to call emergency medical personnel at a crash site for yourself or other people involved in the accident. Make sure to follow the directions of medical professionals to get the help you need. Even if you initially feel fine, it can be helpful to have a doctor or other medical professional examine you. Medical follow-up ensures you did not sustain an injury that you were initially unaware of.
Doctors might have to run diagnostic tests to determine the extent of your injuries before recommending treatment. They may give you strict guidelines to follow after you receive treatment or undergo surgery. It is essential to follow these recommendations to help you achieve optimal health and improve your chances of making a full recovery. In some cases, you may have to follow up with doctors regularly as you recover.
Reporting the Accident and Data Collection
After a collision with an 18-wheeler, you will need to report the accident properly. For example, you may need to report the accident to the police and other members of local law enforcement. Make sure to be as accurate and honest as possible about what happened. Police reports of the accident can also serve as evidence in legal matters later.
Types of Compensation Available to Victims of 18-Wheeler Accidents
Ideally, the amount you recover in compensation should help you move forward after the accident and cover all your expenses related to the accident. You may be able to receive compensation for several reasons:
- Lost wages: If you had to take time off from work to recover, compensation could help cover your lost wages.
- Reduced earning capacity: If you become disabled or unable to work at your job like you used to, you might be able to get compensation for what you could have earned if the accident had not happened.
- Medical bills and out-of-pocket costs: You may have medical bills from initial care in the emergency room and additional follow-up care. Even with high-quality health insurance, these bills can be extensive. Compensation could also cover additional out-of-pocket costs related to the treatment you received.
- Pain and suffering: You might have experienced severe physical pain and trauma from the accident. Compensation for pain and suffering can also include the emotional pain and suffering you experienced because of the truck accident and the events afterward.
Often, it is initially challenging to estimate the extent of the costs and losses you experienced. Therefore, having an 18-wheeler accident attorney review the information can help you understand what a reasonable compensation amount would look like in your truck accident case. The exact compensation amount differs in every 18-wheeler truck accident case due to the unique circumstances of each collision.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Case from an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident
Compensation can also help to cover things like funeral and burial expenses. If you have additional costs related to your loved one’s death, compensation could also help to cover these expenses.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me in My 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Case?
The legal process and negotiations can often be complex and confusing. As a result, many people choose to work with a qualified attorney in their 18-wheeler truck accident case. Working with an attorney can increase your chances of recovering adequate compensation.
An experienced truck accident attorney can help you in several areas with your 18-wheeler truck accident claim:
o over what happened in the 18-wheeler truck accident, including the exact events and what factors contributed to the accident.
- Answer your questions about potential legal paths you could take.
- Review the likely timeline of how long it may take to resolve your case.
valuate who may be responsible for the damages that were caused and what sort of compensation you may be eligible for.
- Help collect evidence to support your claims, such as reviewing video footage, eyewitness testimony, and medical bills.
- Negotiate with the parties involved in your accident to reach a fair settlement.
- Handle the paperwork related to your 18-wheeler truck accident case and ensure that everything is filed within the appropriate timeline.
- Advise you about accepting offers from insurance companies.
- Represent you in legal proceedings and present evidence to the court if your case goes to trial.
- Keep you updated about developments in your case and clarify any information they need from you.
Our legal team understands that every case is different. Your lawyer’s actions will depend on the unique situation of your 18-wheeler truck accident. But our goal is to help you get fair compensation from the liable party or parties responsible for your accident.
Proving Negligence in an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Case
Your lawyer will often work to prove the negligence of other parties in your case. Negligence is due to someone’s duty to you and their failure to meet it. For example, if you were the driver in an 18-wheeler truck accident, negligence could look something like this:
- The truck company you work for had a particular duty to give you a reasonable workload and adequate rest breaks.
our company failed to give you needed rest time and hours to do your job safely.
- You experience fatigue and end up in a crash involving the 18-wheeler truck you were driving.
- You experienced damages in the 18-wheeler truck accident. These damages were the result of your company’s careless actions.
Your 18-wheeler accident lawyer will work to prove that the responsible party’s negligence contributed to the accident and damages you sustained. These cases can help hold individuals or companies accountable for careless actions. It can also help to prevent these types of accidents from happening in the future.
Texas Law Limits Your Time to File an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawsuit
Like most states, Texas has a specific statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits. As a result, some 18-wheeler truck accident claims can be settled outside of court. Typically, this involves careful negotiation from a skilled attorney. However, in other cases, you might need to file a lawsuit to recover compensation.
Verdicts and Settlements Our Clients Have Received
We work with our clients in several specialty areas and fight to get them the compensation they deserve. Consider some of the following payouts that we have been able to secure for our clients. All the amounts listed are the amounts that do not include fees or expenses. You can review more settlement information here.
8.75 million in an 18-wheeler truck accident.
- $9,000,000 settlement in a traumatic brain injury commercial truck wreck
1,191,560.52 after an 18-wheeler wreck that resulted in multiple injuries.
1,000,000 after a truck crash that resulted in a foot amputation
Since every case is different, we cannot be sure how much you may be able to recover in your case. However, with a careful review of the evidence and our legal expertise, we will work to maximize the amount you recover in compensation.
A Few Testimonials Our Law Firm Has Received
“Thank you so much for helping me with my car accident/ personal injury case! You and your staff, Gloria Constanza and Susan Montez, were absolutely great to work with. I felt safe and comfortable and never felt alone during my case. Special thanks to Yuvicela M. for assisting me during the insurance claim adjustment period. I will truly recommend you. HIRE the law offices of Domingo Garcia Attorneys and Counselors At Law!!!” ~ A.R.
“My experience with the law firm of Domingo Garcia was wonderful. Entire staff, from receptionist to my case manager, was always welcoming from beginning and during the process. Jesus Cortina always kept me informed and updated. I greatly appreciate everyone involved for their support and guidance during my recovery. I will always recommend law office of Domingo Garcia.”
Discuss Your Case with a Houston 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Attorney Today
We understand that this is a difficult time for you and we aim to make the legal process as straightforward as possible. Discuss your case with a Houston 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer so that you can understand your legal options. We are here to give you the expert legal advice you need to move forward.
Contact us today to begin your free consultation. We are ready to help you in any way we can.